Tulane women’s soccer bottles up Bearcats

Freshman goalkeeper Kristin Weegar had 11 saves to help the Tulane women’s soccer team record a 1-1 tie with defending Conference USA champion Cincinnati at the Westfeldt Facility on Sunday.

Tulane moves to 3-4-1 overall and is 1-0-1 in C-USA play. Cincinnati is now 5-2-1 overall and also stands at 1-0-1 in league action. Sunday’s game marks the first time since the 2000 season that the Bearcats have failed to post a regular season win against a Conference USA foe, breaking a streak of 15 consecutive league victories.

“This is absolutely a great result for us,” Tulane head coach Betsy Anderson said. “We have been talking about giving a tremendous amount of effort over an extended period of time and we really did that today. We really came out and battled today and never gave up. Cincinnati was ranked as high as 15th in the national polls earlier this season, and while we think we could have had a win, we’re very happy with the draw.”

Weegar came up big time and time again for the Green Wave, recording 11 saves, just one off the school record she tied against James Madison earlier this season. Weegar twice stoned the Bearcats in the first overtime, recording a save on Amy Mink’s long-range blast and then snuffing Renee Balconi on the rebound attempt.

“Kristin Weegar was definitely our team’s Woman of the Match,” Anderson added. “She made some tremendous reflex saves and was in perfect position the whole day. She really played well in all three games this week, with two shutouts, but was sensational today.”

Megan Stack gave Tulane a 1-0 lead 30 minutes into the first half. Kelley Smith started the play by winning the ball near the left sideline at midfield. She fed Kristen Tasca down the sideline and the freshman looped a perfect pass over the back of the Cincinnati defense to Stack. Stack took a touch to settle the ball and calmly scored past the on-rushing Bearcat goalkeeper.

Cincinnati equalized right after halftime however, when Mink scored off a pass from Herweh in the 49th minute. Neither team could find the back of the net through regulation, sending Tulane into its first overtime game since the 2000 season.

Tulane dominated most of the first overtime, nearly scoring the game-winner just two minutes in. A Green Wave corner kick found Brook Parker near the goalmouth, but her shot was cleared off the line. The clearance only went as far as Colleen Lake, who’s rebound attempt from just outside the 18-yard box hit the crossbar.

The Wave also had a chance late in the second overtime period when Lake sent Mandy Schumacher through the Bearcat defense, only to see Schumacher’s effort just miss at the near post.

Tulane returns to action next weekend as the Green Wave hit the road for the first part of a month-long road trip. The Wave start the trip with a game at Marquette next Friday before facing DePaul in Chicago on Sunday. The Green Wave don’t play at again home until a Oct. 25 contest against Houston.

For more information, please contact Philip Allison: (504) 865-5506